Thursday, March 24, 2005

Geez, sorry so long since

Been out of town in Dallas, walking around where Kennedy was shot and enjoying wearing shorts in March.

*******

This takes ya back...

My oldest friend, Star Wars Mike, so named because of his massively impressive collection of mint-condition sci-fi merchandise toys (especially Star Wars), his wife Melissa teaches elementary school, 6th graders. Every semester they do a project where part of the process is watching a movie on the subject as a treat afterwards, to see about what they learned from the books (and have fun.) They learn about dinosaurs, they watched Jurassic Park, learn about the Titanic, watch Titanic. And talk about the differences and what they noticed in the movie from their studies.

Well lo and behold, this semster the project was on folklore and mythology and the kids got to watch the Star Wars trilogy. Mike and I were chomping at the bit to go to her class one day and play 'Stump the Old Nerds' with the kids. Many of these kids never saw the original trilogy. So as the kids have watched it, Melissa emails us questions the kids came up with (very sharp ones at that) that we'd ponder and answer back. Questions I think Lucas would even stop and wonder "Hmm...kid's right. That don't make sense."

Aaaaaaanyway... They finished the trilogy. Melissa sent us an email sharing the answers her kids gave about what their favorite parts were. It's like the sci-fi version of how kids are pretty pure and honest with their feelings.;

"My favorite part of any of the movies is when Luke fights Darth Vader at
Cloud City..."

"Episode 4 when the first Death Star is blown up by Luke."

"My favorite part was when Yoda trained Luke because Yoda is my favorite
character."

"My favorite part in the movies is when Luke takes off Vader's mask and Luke
said, "I must save you," and Vader said, "You already have...""

"I liked all of the battles."

"I liked the part where Darth Vader and Luke make peace."

"My favorite part is the ending of Return of the Jedi. You can see Yoda,
Obi-Wan and Anakin all together, and you can tell they are proud of Luke."

"I like at the end when the Emperor was torturing Luke and Darth Vader kept
looking back at the emperor and then at Luke again and again until he
finally picked up the emperor and threw him in the hole. I was happy he
turned good again."

"I liked when the Ewoks thought that C-3PO was a god."

"I liked all of the action with the light sabers."

"My favorite part was where Darth saved Luke and Luke carried Darth through
the space station to safety. (kind made me get a little teary.)"


*Melissa's giving extra credit to kids who watch Episodes I and II over Easter and write up questions about it tying it into the original trilogy.


Life is Good.

No comments: